Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ending my triathlon season with a fizzle...

I had grand plans.  I was going to parlay my fitness and preparation from IM Louisville into a 70.3 at Anderson this weekend.  Anderson is actually the USAT Long Course Championships for which I had qualified at Augusta and B2B last year.  One of my goals for B2B was to come in under the qualification time standard and I managed to pull that off so was pretty stoked!  At that time, my A goal for 2013 became the 70.3 at Anderson.  That A goal last right up until IM Louisville came in and relegated Anderson to a B race.

In my mind I thought I would take a week off and ease back into a light schedule and gradually ramp it up to make sure I was ready when race day rolled around in Anderson.  The funny thing is about ten days ago I lost all motivation.  I can't really put my finger on the how or the why.  OK, maybe I can figure out the why (I was tired ...) but that hasn't really stopped me before.  I am the Queen of Powering Through and Sticking to the Plan.  That is my official title.

I had been swimming, biking and running but 10 days ago I hit the wall of de-motivation.
   

Two weekends ago, I had a great 45 mile charity ride with friends followed by a 10 mile run the next day.  I have been really having a great time in my masters swim group.  I found a fantastic new spin studio that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and yet somehow shortly thereafter I smacked my head on the wall of de-motivation.

Last weekend, I had registered for a century ride on Saturday (I was going to do the 50 miler) and a half marathon on Sunday.  Would you believe I drove one hour across town, checked into the ride, readied my bike and then decided I just didn't want to ride so packed it all up and went home.  Really.  The next day for the 13.1,  I set the alarm extra early to get up and go and when the time came, I set the alarm for a more reasonable hour thinking I would go do the miles on my own and went back to sleep.  I got up later when the alarm went off at the reasonable hour, got dressed, drove to Stone Mountain, ran one mile turned around and walked back to the car.  Really.  Who does this?


I am no expert but am thinking all that added up to someone who needed to take a break.  Part of me wanted to do the Anderson race but a larger part of me could not get enthused about it.  In the end, I figured if I was having that much trouble deciding I must not really want to do the race all that much.  I cancelled my hotel reservation for Anderson and determined to take an easy week this week. My A race became my B race and then became my non-existent race.  ...and just like that I guess my triathlon season has come to an end.  I have plenty of running on tap for the Fall and Winter as I get ready for the Dopey but for now am kicking back, enjoying a little more tennis than usual and maybe baking these fabulous looking treats.  (mmmmm Mini Pumpkin Sticky Buns)  :)





      

14 comments:

ltlindian said...

Nothing wrong with a break. We don't get paid for this shit so if it isn't fun anymore or you don't feel like doing it, well, don't do it. I am on a mini-break right now as well. My thing right now is to EAT ALL THE FOOD. I mean ALL.

B.o.B. said...

You crack me up. I would TOTALLY do that whole drive to a race and then leave thing. I have known to Houdini at rides before. Listen to your body, enjoy those amazing looking treats, and you'll be ready to roll in no time. Miss your face!

Karen said...

I am with you! For some reason Fall kicks off something inside me that makes me want to make all kinds of treats (and eat them ...). :)

Karen said...

Glad I am not the only one - it makes me feel less weird!

Carolina John said...

Yea I am totally ready to hang up the bike for the winter. Over it! Ready to run lots of miles and get ready for the spring marathon after resting up from B2B.

ajh said...

It sounds like you need a break and even though you are automatically going places and being ready a wiser part of you is turning you around to go back home.

Matthew Smith said...

Bummer that I won't get to see you this weekend, but I TOTALLY understand! Triathlon will wait and be ready for you next year. Enjoy the time off!

meghan said...

Sounds like a tough decision, but at the same time such an easy decision. Glad you're listening to your body and not getting down about it. Dopey is going to be such a whirlwind weekend! I'm hoping to come over there for sometime to cheer and say hi!

Kevin said...

Bummer that you'll miss the race, but better to listen your body and take the time of now so you are well rested for all your adventures planned for 2014

Lindsay said...

At least you didn't fight yourself over not racing and just took the time off. I always interpret that as needed rest. You've been trucking along all year so far - if your body wants a break it has earned one! Enjoy some downtime, the motivation will come back.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I hope you're enjoying your break. I'm taking a bit of a break after running the St. George Marathon, too. Rest is good, especially if it involves those sticky buns!

Half Crazed Runner said...

This has got to be the 5th blog I read with people saying they need R&R and lack motivation. Don't feel guilty. rest up. It's probably your body saying "slow down for now."

Miles of the Journey said...

I would suppose we all go through a similar motivational drought. Mine are coming up, I know. With winter there will be shorter days, a warm, toasty fireplace, coffee, chocolate, family and friends by the fire...A night by the pond, a campfire, a big moon, and coyotes howling.

Gwen said...

Very motivative post! It is important to set right goals, especially in fitness. In order to move forward I need a lot of energy, and it is perfectly provided by military grade nutritionals. These products can be easily ordered at amazon. Pre-workouts, e.g. Super Army Formula, are awesome. They give me quick boost of energy and enhance my physical capacities. I am gaining muscle and strength and achieve all goals I have set.